Boast Only In The Lord
The cross of Christ turns the wisdom of man upside down. Victory is won by giving up life, not taking it. Shame is removed by God identifying with the shamed and dying a shameful death. God leads through shame to glory and honor. And to some this is pure folly. But to those who believe, it is the power of God. The message of the cross is indiscriminate. It is offered to all, regardless of race, gender, socioeconomic status or pedigree. Therefore, the gospel creates a new diverse people, united by the gospel. And everyone who responds to the gospel with belief, does so because of the sheer mercy and grace of God. Therefore, there is no room for boasting in ourselves. All our boasting must be in the kindness of God.
- Why were the Corinthians boasting? How does Paul attempt to put an end to their prideful boasting?
- Why do some respond to the gospel with faith and believe while others do not?
- What does it mean to be “in Christ Jesus”? (verse 30)
- Why should we only boast in the Lord? How do we boast in the Lord?
- What are ways we “boast” (or put confidence) in ourselves? Some are subtle and some are overt.