Jesus, The Bread of Life
After feeding the 5,000, Jesus reveals himself as the Bread of Life. He is the bread that satisfies our souls and gives eternal life. The manna the crowds seek will satisfy only for a day. Jesus offers them a better bread.
Community Group Questions:
- Jesus tells this crowd to stop laboring for food that perishes. What are examples from your life of laboring for that which perishes?
- Jesus then exhorts them to seek the food that endures to eternal life. What does that mean? What must we do to be saved?
- Why do the Jews want to see another sign involving bread before they will believe in Jesus?
- What efforts of yours are you tempted to believe contribute towards your salvation?
- Are the origins of our faith in God or in us? What does Jesus say must first happen before anyone can come to him?
- How was the manna in the Old Testament a pointer or type of what was to come?
- Is Jesus speaking about bread metaphorically or sacramentally?
- In what ways was Jesus revealing himself as superior to Moses?
- What’s Jesus claiming when He says ‘ I AM the bread of life’?