The Claims of Christ
After healing the man who was lame for 38 years, Jesus shocks his listeners even further by declaring his equality with God. Through Jesus' life and actions, He is revealing God to them. He is not acting of his own accord, but in step with the Father's will. And the Father desires that the Son be glorified and honored. So He has entrusted all judgment into the Son's hands. In this text we are confronted with the colossal claims of Christ.
Community Group Questions:
- Is Jesus capable of acting independently of the Father?
- What claims does Jesus make about himself in each of these statements?
- In what ways does Jesus indicate He is equal with the Father?
- Why do you think Jesus is saying these things, sharing this?
- According to verse 24, what must we do to have eternal life?
- What’s the significance of the title ‘Son of Man’?
- Jesus affirms that we will all face a last judgment and be judged according to our deeds. Does this mean we are saved by works?
- What promises does Jesus give here about redemption and salvation? How do these
- promises give you confidence and hope?
- Many in their evangelism speak only of God’s love and never of his judgment. Why is this wrong and/or misguided?