The King Is Alive
Some of the strongest evidence for the resurrection of Jesus is the transformation in the disciples themselves. As John records, not all the disciples believed Jesus had resurrected even after they saw and heard the tomb was empty. But this doubt was crucified when Jesus unexpectedly joined them as they fearfully huddled locked in a room. Jesus showed the disciples his hands and side and they believed. Then Jesus commissioned them and sent them to declare the reality and truth of his resurrection, making disciples in His Name and He equipped them to do this by giving them the Holy Spirit.
Community Group Questions:
- Make the case for the bodily resurrection of Jesus from today’s passage.
- Do you believe in the resurrection of Jesus? What makes you tempted to doubt the resurrection of Jesus?
- Why is the resurrection of Jesus the lynch pin of Christianity (i.e. the Christian faith)? Could Christianity continue and flourish if Jesus was never raised from the dead? (See also 1 Corinthians 15:1-28)
- What is the first thing Mary does when she returns home? Why is Jesus’ resurrection significant and worth sharing with others?
- How does the resurrection ground us in hope and give us perspective?
- How can you know that when you face death it is not the end?
- What role does the Holy Spirit play in our evangelism?